Saturday, March 13, 2010

1st Driving Lesson

I am determined to attend the wedding of a very good friend’s daughter on June 19th.  Bill patiently explained that he would be fine with that as long as I was willing to take my turn each day driving.  We would only have 5 days to make it to British Columbia so he would need help.  Now granted I love driving a van and insist I need one to haul all my stuff and my people, but a 33’ motor home with a tow car????!!  Well I admitted I should do what I could to help, we picked up the motor home one exceptionally warm and sunny day in March and Bill drove it down to the state park a few miles from the condo.  I agreed to practice there as I would only have to go 10 miles an hour and there wouldn’t be much traffic that time of year.   I have to say it was challenging to keep it between the lines and watch what was in front of me (forget what was behind me!).  But on top of that he wanted me to be careful and steer clear of the tree branches on the right side, which is where I tend to hug the road.  Then I put my foot down and said, “Now wait a minute I’ll do my best to keep it in the middle of the road and watch in front but I can’t watch for trees too.”  It wasn’t till a couple months later that I asked him what happened to the light outside the door of the motor home and he said, “Someone hit some tree branches.”  I then realized that would have been me that first day at the park and he graciously had given me an A-.  Now I know where the minus came from.  He was very patient, generous and encouraging.  I will now try very hard to not veer to the right.




No comments:

Post a Comment